Saturday, November 17, 2018

Goldsmith Gulch  (Plein air, finished in the studio)



8x10  –  Acrylic on canvas board  –  Click here to Bid  –  Starting at $200

I started this plein air painting later in the afternoon to catch the light raking across the tops of the bushes. I set up next to a little waterfall which serenaded me the whole time. The colors got more intense as the sun sank lower in the sky and everything began to glow! But as soon as the sun dropped below the horizon it started getting cold and breezy, so I packed up and finished the painting in the studio the next day. According to Golden Artists Colors, 50 degrees is the low end temperature for optimal adhesion for acrylic paints. And you certainly don't want them to freeze! So as we move closer to winter, my window for working outdoors is waning. Which means I may have to start working in oils, which are not as temperature sensitive, or take it inside and work on some bigger pieces. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment