Saturday, September 8, 2018

Kountze Lake Afternoon

Click to Bid - 5x7  Acrylic on Panel  (Plein Air)

I spent yesterday afternoon out painting in Belmar Park, a nice 750 acre open space area in the heart of Lakewood just west of Denver. I found a shady spot to set up my easel next to the lake, with this view to the west. Just a perfect day. This acrylic has a Chinese red underpainting just like my other work, but rather that the linear structure of the still lifes,  I used a more painterly approach. I call painting outdoors my community outreach. When working along a trail, folks and the occasional gaggle of geese always stop by to see what I'm up to. On this outing I set up near the water by a park bench, coincidentally the couple who donated the bench came by to visit their favorite view, saw me there, and liked the painting so much they've commissioned a larger version!

The open space was originally owned by May Stanton Bonfils (1883-1962), the heir to the Denver Post newspaper fortune. (I worked as a graphic artist at the Post for 13 years.) The property was her summer residence, it had a mansion that was an exact replica of Marie Antoinette’s Petite Trianon Palace in France, which was built during the Great Depression for the cost of $1 million. Alas, it was torn down and all that remains is a marble boat ramp on the east side of the lake. Today there are lots of walking trails and a Hertitage Center were several structures have been moved and restored. 

No comments:

Post a Comment