Sunday, March 10, 2019

Spring Forward


(12x12  –  Acrylic on canvas sheet)

I started out wanting to observe the change to Daylight Savings Time. Actually I prefer Mountain Standard when the sun is at its zenith at noon. I wish they would just pick one and leave it. Originally I was going to lay down coil spring shapes as only part of the underpainting, but then paintings have a mind of their own. I kept seeing spirals instead, so rather that fight it I went with the flow. And I like the result. 

In Colorado March and April are our snowiest months, but coming home Friday night it actually rained! I love it. The smell is intoxicating. The 'circles' in the painting remind me of raindrops hitting puddles of snow melt. 

Upon completion I flashed on the work of Robert and Sonia Delaunay and their wonderfully circular faceted compositions of vibrant color. They founded the movement Orphism which was moving beyond concrete reality into the non-objective. Sadly it came to an end with the advent of WWI.

No comments:

Post a Comment